Monday, June 2, 2008

Amazing Dream... Gotta Tell You About It!

Just before waking this morning, I had a vivid dream so true-to-life that I felt I was "living" it. When I got up, it remained with me in a palpable way, so I need to tell you about it...

In the dream, I was at a state fair -- one of those sprawling landscapes where people are milling in all directions laden with cones of cotton candy, elephant ears and scones, cute little (or very large) carnival toys won, and with kids or friends of all ages at their sides.

For some reason I can't remember now (whether I was invited, or a request went out for extemporaneous thoughts, or what-have-you), I began to speak about why I thought Barack Obama would be and should be our next President. I don't recall what I said (probably similar to something I said at the caucus when I was a precinct captain back in March that caused so many undecideds and a couple of Clinton fans to decide for Barack that day), but as I spoke, I could see, right away, that a few of the people gave me a brush-off signal as they turned and walked away, either in complete disagreement with me, or thinking that politics had no place at a "fun" fair, or for whatever reason. But most of the people stayed, and I could tell that they weren't all automatically Obama fans. But they were curious, respectful, and listened.

I do know I was passionate and fully "sold out" with what I was saying, because the effect on the audience was obvious and as I ended the spiel, people cheered and clapped and shouted nice things. (But, again, not all of them...)

To leave the area, I had to ascend a flight of stairs, and as I did, others in "my" audience began to step forward and, with equal passion and level-headedness, began to express why they thought one of the other candidates was the one who should be our next commander in chief.

I stopped halfway up the stairs, thinking, "Hey, I started a trend here! And these people are as passionate about their candidate as I am about Obama!"

So I decided to stay on the stairs and listen to what my fellow Americans were saying about their favorite candidate.This went on for a while (because those who spoke weren't just speaking about presidential politics, but about local or regional races as well).

As it seemed to be winding down, I started to ascend to the top of the stairs and spotted a red-faced (not angry, just determined) former President Clinton (with his wife in tow by the hand! Very unlike Hillary, to say the least), coming down the stairs, dedicated to bucking the crowds coming up in enough time to tout HIS favorite candidate before the crowd below dispersed.

As the Clintons reached my level on the stairs, I realized I needed to tell them, from my heart, how much I thought of them, too, as leaders and patriots. I said, "President Clinton (as Hillary was still behind him and I hadn't come face-to-face with her yet), I just want you two to know that if Barack weren't in this race, I would SO be a spokesperson for Hillary, the way I just was for Barack."

President Clinton, still in a civilized rush to get past me to get to a microphone, responded, "I understand." He wasn't unkind or unfriendly; it was just a statement of fact -- he did understand -- he just felt Hillary was the candidate who should be our next President. I "got" that.

As Hillary came by me (still being brought along by Bill), I realized, almost painfully, that I was in her demographic (white, middle-aged woman) -- she did, too -- and I looked into her eyes and said, "I'm sorry!" She said, "It's okay..." but she looked sad, even hurt, momentarily. (Not mad.)

For some reason, I went back down the steps with them and stood close by as people began to recognize that President Clinton and Hillary were present and began to regroup to hear what they had to say.

Just before he spoke, Hillary looked at me again and I could just tell that she had heard my Obama speech. (It hadn't been anti-Clinton in the least. It had extolled her virtues as well and stated that I hoped they would form a ticket and run together in the fall.) She still looked sad, and resigned to her "fate": that people were going for Barack who would otherwise have been in her court just as forcefully. Tears came to her eyes and she realized she was about to cry (not a good thing for a Presidential -- or any other -- candidate to be seen doing if they want to win. Remember Edmund Muskie?). She quickly said, "Oh, my!" as she realized what was going to happen.

Quickly, quietly, she said to me, "May I?" -- and I started tearing up, too, and brought her to me and held her against me while she recovered (which took at least ten seconds), patting her on the back and saying silly things into her ear to cheer her up and so onlookers would think we were just exchanging hugs and comments to show "no harm intended or taken," even though I had just spoken for Obama.

She recovered quickly and as Bill started to speak, I began to wake up...I was still upset by the dream. I remain upset by it -- enough to blog it and let you know what I believe my conscience (a.k.a. the Holy Spirit, in my belief and vernacular) was trying to get through to me as I dreamed it.

Presidential candidates are people, too. They get their feelings hurt -- and they probably cry during rare private moments, so that their human-ness isn't caught and "spun" as a weakness or seen, by the stoic among us, as a disgrace.

There are very real hearts and hurts involved in any campaign. Most candidates (wish I could say ALL candidates, but I know that's not always true) are invested, heart and soul, in the issues and concerns they care so much about. Most could make better money elsewhere in the private sector. But because they care so much, they undergo scrutiny few can pass (nobody's perfect), wear themselves to a frazzle talking day and night in the hope that their constituents will catch their feverish passion for righting wrongs and jump aboard their bandwagon and help get them elected, or at the very least, that they'll decide to vote for them.

My dream was telling me that if -- when -- Hillary loses the nomination to become the Democratic candidate this fall, I will be as upset as she is (sharing her disappointment equally -- and I will cry, even though she can't) and almost as upset as I would be if Barack were to lose it.

I care about both of these candidates -- deeply. Their stand on issues is almost identical. They are good people. Because I have to pick just one, I hope they'll end up on the same ticket so I can vote for both of them in November. But that is truly something the nominee of the party must decide -- and I steer clear and say that my heart-felt desire for an Obama-Clinton ticket might not be the best way to go. I just don't know. And neither does anyone else, or it would be a done deal already.

What I'm saying is, I hope you are "living" the candidates' campaigns and not just "enduring" them. All of the candidates are in positions that can impact our lives for years or generations. Elections are important. Pundits can spin them every which way but loose, but in the end, it is the voters who make the choice.

I hope you'll remember my dream and pay attention to the candidates of both parties. Be kind. And don't gloat if "your" candidate wins. For every winner, there's another winner who just did not win "this time." They're all patriots and they deserve our thanks and our prayers.

'Nuf said. I abdicate my soapbox and await your responses.



No comments: