Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Historic Evening... Obama Wins the Democratic Nomination



Mark your calendars. Today will go down in history books across the nation. This evening, Barack Obama earned enough delegate votes to become the party's nominee for President of the United States. It has been hundreds of years and generations in the making but tonight it happened: a great African-American will become the nominee of the Democratic Party for President at the convention this coming August in Denver.

Today a false ceiling ("only white Anglo Saxon men can successfully run and become President in these United States") has been brought down --- and good riddance. Now ALL Americans of every race (and I believe both genders, because of the valiant efforts of Hillary Clinton for the nomination, during which she came so very close to breaking the false ceiling for women) can know, to the core of their spirits, that the only potentially crippling obstacle to their dreams, hopes and ambitions is the quality and the strength of the energy, faith and devotion they bring to achieving them.

I believe Barack will win in November. The breath of hope and excitement that resides in the breasts of millions of people will energize politicians and public alike to work hard and do whatever it takes to lift America and Americans to the next level.

We're a good people and a good country. The next eight years will re-establish that in the minds of people across the globe.

I'm so looking forward to that!


http://www.theroot.com/id/46735/page/1



<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Got a lovely P.P.S. tonight from a dear friend, Margot Worthington in Denver. She's always so swamped at work (and takes it home with her, too) that she can rarely catch my blogs, but when she does... well, she always makes me feel SO great afterward. I'll put my toe in the rug and blush a little as I publish what she wrote. (As Mark Twain once confessed, "I can live for a week on a compliment." Me, too -- a MONTH!)

P.P.S. .....I LOVE your writing ....you're just so AMAZING!!! I get so wrapped up in everything that you write. I know I don't tell you that enough, but you're such an excellent writer. You have this magical ability to draw your "reader" in and experience what you have experienced. Lissa said the same thing to me not long ago via email. She said she was crying as she listened to the end of your audio book [DeForest Kelley: A Harvest of Memories. I have precious few copies of it left on audio but it's still available in an e-book and as a hardbound and soft cover. The URL address to order it is above in my signature line.] . I have to say, what you have is NOT just a talent, it's a TRUE gift from God.

Oh, good. I can take my toe out of the rug now because Margot finished by giving credit where credit is due in her last line.

And I give a hearty AMEN to that!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hillary's FABULOUS concession speech

(If you didn't hear it in its entirety, please do so here):

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=c3dae578-7695-45c1-8ea9-705a0e28683e&playlist=videoByTag:tag:politics_elections:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:mk:us:sf:ActiveStartDate:sd:-1:vs:0&from=MSNHP&tab=m1191248204226&GT1=42003

No comments: