Sunday, November 15, 2009

BRRR! The Frost is on My Punkin' Head!

Wouldn't you know it? The moment it started to get teeth-chattering cold, Casey had two final soccer games to play -- one as dusk fell on Wednesday and one not long after dawn broke on Saturday.

I bundled well the first time, except for socks and shoes, and just about froze to death anyway because of the oversight. Yesterday I bundled well and wore two pairs of socks, but some of the other attendees (Casey's cousin among them) wasn't dressed quite warmly enough so I ended up "rescuing" her by giving her my warm headpiece (because I also had a hoodie on) and showing her how to pull her arms into her jacket and against her body to keep her freezing hands warm. So I've had my share of cold for a day or so.

It isn't so bad when I walk four miles because I'm moving fast. It's just standing still gawking that gets to me. But it was worth it. The girls are getting so much better. The games really are exciting. Casey's team won.

On Friday I took Marian, a former pew mate, 85 years old, to lunch at Red Lobster. We had a blast. She had gall bladder surgery a couple months ago and this was her first outing since then. She was like a kid in a candy store -- animated, cheery, full of fun. She embarrassed herself by "offering" me some of her fruit smoothie by accidentally flinging it on its side onto the middle of the table. I just shook my head and laughed.

When the server, Shawana, came over to rescue us from the spreading mess, Marian somehow also managed to fling her fork at her as she finished cleaning up the mess. Shanawa feinted right and got away safely, then stepped away momentarily because another customer flagged her down. Marian and I started laughing again. I said "Woman, you're DANGEROUS!" She looked around and couldn't see Shawana, so she asked, "Where did she go?" and I joked, "She got out of harm's way until you settle down!" Marian asked for a bib after all this -- and got one! I howled! (And of course it remained pristine.)

It was a hoot, every single moment. We have to do it more often. Who needs to drink alcohol to get nuts? NOT US! We're higher than a kite on LIFE!

This coming week I'll be working from Eatonville for a couple days -- possibly three -- because the people I usually critter-sit for need me to ferry the missus to St Joe's Hospital to see her husband. He'll be having gall bladder surgery there and she doesn't drive. So I'll be her house guest in case an emergency arises at the hospital in the middle of the night and she has to get there. It'll be a chance for me to get to know her better, too.

Marian gave me a 2 gallon betta tank with all the trimmings, so naturally I had to go out and get a betta. I got a boy yesterday and a girl today, plus some fake plants so they can hide and go seek till they get to know each other better and until the plant pods I dropped in start to grow so they have REAL plants to hide in a couple of weeks from now. I read up on bettas and know males fight but males and females sometimes get along. (DUH! Otherwise there wouldn't be any bettas in the world!) I learned that it's the male betta who tends the bubble-nest after the female lays the eggs. I've had lots of fish before (mostly tropical fish) but never bettas. It's going to be an education.. or a disaster. I'll keep you posted!

What else? Tomorrow I'm having lunch with Edward Smith again -- you remember... the Papa Lion of Yelm, Auroara the lion's human "dad." He borrowed some of my TREK magazines last time he was here and wants to return them. Good. I can't tell you how many I've lost because I loaned them out and then forgot who I loaned them to! And these are the magazines that I was IN, talking about De, so they're precious to me. So if you're one of the scoundrels that has some of my magazines, bring 'em back, okay? Thank you! 'Cause I can't remember who I loaned them to and can't come after you with candy, cake or a machete to retrieve them. You're on the honor system. (Dr. Phil: "How's that workin' for ya?" Don't ask.)

Oh, well. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. I'll survive. T'aint the end of the world...

WAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

How refreshing is a brief breakout of emotion. I'm all better now!

No comments: