Sunday, May 2, 2010

Such Friends as These... My Stellar Support Group is Amazing!

It's been amazing, these past few days. The outpouring of love and great advice for me -- from Democrats, Republicans, Independents and completely unaligned -- has been 100% positive, 100% supportive, and 100% "you go, girl!" Even those who don't share my enthusiasm for the Obama Administration have been supportive, to a person.  How amazing is that?!

I don't know if any of them would like to be identified, but I do want to list a lot of their suggestions and congratulations, so I'll do it without naming names.

Friend #1

"You've done the right thing so far: applied as asked. Doesn't mean they'll hire you, doesn't mean you have to accept if asked.

"If they do, negotiate. Think through what would keep you afloat financially and spiritually -- 1/2 time in Tacoma, 1/2 time in DC? Help finding a simple living arrangement (sharing digs part-time)?

"Consider how much the gig pays and whether they're offering benefits. If you commute, will your travel be arranged for, and paid by, them?

"Knowing the week's check is going to be there is a lovely thing. How much stress will that relieve? Will the joy of the work overtake the time spent doing it?

"Sounds like you already know what to do!"

Friend #2

"I know this is a tough decision. You may not have to leave your pets. Travel is tough. One thing is for sure: Negotiate! DC is ONE HELL of an expensive place to live. Would the salary be enough to do all you need to do and have a decent apartment? Many first-time Senators and Reps find they don't make enough to live on and triple up in crappy apartments. If you need more info on living in DC, I have friends there. And if you need help on hotels with decent locales and rooms, I can help there, too..."

Friend #3

Leaving the politics out of it (hehehe) I'm sure you're honored and should be! You do good work, they'd be lucky to have you! I'm sure you're trying to weigh both sides of the equation realistically... Hopefully they'll let you work from home. I'll be praying for you. God be with you wherever you end up! Love ya!"

Friend #4

"What a GREAT HONOR! It truly is an honor to be asked to serve on the President's team !!! -- on any President's team, for that matter.

"I really hope (and pray) that they will see the wisdom of allowing you to work from home and fly to DC on occasion. They could never find a more talented copywriter!!! And if you and I can do interviews 3K miles apart and I can deal with an editor in the UK, they certainly ought to be able to work with you long distance... and I'm sure they probably have some kind of organizing committee right where you live.

"I'll pray for you, of course, and I know the Lord will show you the path He wants you to take. It's not selfish for you to wish not to uproot your life (home/church/writing ministry/family/friends/pets) as the kind of position they've asked you to apply for can surely be done via cyberspace for the most part (and is time-limited, whether for six years or two).

"As a lifelong registered Independent (I'm in  the aisle!), I've worked with/for local and state pols from both major parties for over three decades now and can count on the fingers of one hand the number I would fully trust. But I think we all agree that helping the President -- any President -- is something every American would be honored to do. It's our "job" to help our Presidents in any way we can. And it's wonderful that you were asked to apply.

"So CONGRATULATIONS! And God Bless whatever you decide to do, because I know you'll do it beautifully. You're in my prayers always. Love."

Friend #4

Kris, I know change is scary, but isn't it what drew us to Obama in the first place? For the majority of your life, you've been working so hard to make it as a writer. It seems to me that this type of position would open doors for you. In the end, you'll know what is best for you regardless of what your friends say, but know that we will support you either way. That said, I wouldn't make ANY decisions or requests about working virtually until after you interview for the position. You may find that 2-6 years of interesting work is worth leaving home for if the pay is right! Also, once they meet you, they might be more receptive to the idea of working from your Washington.

"I absolutely understand your dilemma, though. I had a similar opportunity once but had to decline because of my spouse's job location and needs.

"I'll be in DC right after the 4th of July, so you better hurry up and get the job so I can crash at your place! LOL! ;  Seriously, though, I'm very happy and excited for you. Please let me know how it goes."

Friend #5

"You want to write about history or be a part of it? I envy you in that you have the opportunity to do this or not -- should you get the nod. The question is simple: Stay on the sidelines or become a playmaker in history."  (Kris Note: EEgads!)

Friend #6

"Kris, you are dearly loved and I will pray that the Lord's will be done. Of course this is a big deal! You have the skills God has given you for a reason. Give yourself a couple of days to weigh the pros and cons and let it all sink in. Ask God to help everything fall into place and go from there. Praying for you!"

Friend #7

"Oh my goodness. That is fantastic and I don't see how you could possibly turn it down. This only comes around once in a lifetime."

Friend #8

"Miss Kristine, this is quite an honor. I would go for it! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. God orders your steps. Keep listening to His voice. Much love."

Friend #9

"Oh my Gosh - yes, go for it. Don't mention that you don't want to move to DC just yet. When they DO say we want you and we want you now, then see what you can negotiate. You know you want this. Go for the interview and the whole process, then see what you can stipulate. Just think of the networking opportunities!"

Friend #10

"First of all, congratulations!  You have to ask yourself, what would De and Carolyn and your mom and dad want you to do? I think this is a once in a lifetime thing and you should go for it. Remember, we usually regret the things we DIDN'T do rather than the things we did as we get older. I am thrilled they asked you to apply! And I love President Obama, too, so no worries there, either!  Love."

Friend #11

"My roommate just went through the same thing (major relocation at age 57 to accept an amazing job).  Kris, your house, friends, church, cats, dog and family and your freelance career will be waiting for you when you get back. And there's Faceboook, email and webcams these days to keep everyone close. Yup, I'm telling you to go for it! Follow your heart and channel your enthusiasm for our dear Mr. Obama into your awesome writing skills for the good of us all. I guess it goes without saying that you'll be a part of history!

"Just like Abraham, God will guide you to a residence, transportation and opportunities you haven't even thought of yet. And on a personal note, I think your folks and De and Carolyn would be SO PROUD of you and saying, "See?  We told you so!

"Let me knw if there's any way I can support you in this endeavor."

Friend #12

"OK Kris, this is V. speaking. God allows opportunity in our life so He can be glorified. Sometimes WE have to step out of our comfort zone and do the will of the Father. Regardless of what our opinions are. You need to be on your face fasting and praying and seeking God and asking HIM, 'OK, Lord, You know my heart, you know my situation. What would You have me do?' Then you WAIT. The word says 'Enter His gates with thanksgiving and praise.' So after you pray, then you Praise and say thank you and WAIT. He says 'Be still and know that I am God.'

"We can talk ourselves in and out of things so quickly. Wait and be still and know that He is God. You do your part and God will certainly do His, and whatever happens, give Him the glory and the honor. Don't look to the situation, look to God. Also, God is not in the midst of guilt, fear and anxiety. He is in the midst of peace, joy and love. When we walk in unbelief, fear and guilt, we aren't trusting God. So walk in your faith that God will work things out for His glory.

"I am praying that you will hear clearly from God and that you will conform your mind to Christ's and loose any hindrances that keep you from hearing the word of the Lord. Col 1:9-12."  (Kris Note: Needless to say, this is a mighty woman of God -- a prayer warror!)

Friend #13

"I firmly believe that serving your country and serving yourself can be the same thing. If it will be too big a stretch for you, turn it down if you're required to move, since you can do the same work right where you are for them. But if you think that the sheer joy of doing the job will carry you through and put you in a position of strength for yourself and your country, then you should seriously consider it.

"Make this decision away from other people. This is something you must decide for yourself. So many people are going to be thrilled; others may not. You have your own thoughts and feelings and conscousness for a reason. The same soul that brought you to De has carried you this far. And though I know it's been a tough road, that doesn't mean you shouldn't walk in it. Imagine how you would feel being in DC making history with and for a President you worked so hard to help elect. How does that feel to you? Does it feel like enough? Only you can answer that for yourself.

"If you have the faith you say you do, you're already in service -- the only service that truly matters. Listen to that voice and assess the reality of how it will affect you financially and in the long term. Then ask yourself which decision will make you feel most at peace.

"Having re-routed myself a few times I know how head-spinning such big opportunities can be. But you know what to do already, somewhere in there. It will come to you."

Friend #14

"I'll pray for you. There's no reason in the world THESE days that you can't do what you do remotely and hopefully they would pay travel expenses when they absolutely need you on-site for any reason.

"But if it comes to 'you have to live in DC" for a period of time, remember, it isn't forever. Rent your side to someone you both trust while you're gone, someone who loves animals and will take care of your critters. Give her a discount for that. Love you."

Friend #15

"Yes, it IS an honor and I can understand ALL those emotions you are feeling. Politically, I can't see that you're really 'siding' with a particular issue or side... except of course, you're working for the Obama team. So what? That's your persuasion. You know the One who ultimately is in charge and are gonna serve and love Him no matter where you're at, right? It's a copywriting position. I think the most important thing is seeking God, asking Him to show you, help you decide, close and open doors, etc. If you truly keep your heart open to His will, I think you'll know if it's "Yes" or "No" or "It doesn't matter -- I'll be with you either way."  My opinion, nothing more. Love you!"

Friend #16

"Life is short. Do what makes your heart sing. If you don't go, you will still be paying your part of the mortgage. If you do go, you'll still be paying it while following your dreams. Love."

Friend #17

"Great news!  Jim's son, Bob and his wife live in the DC area. I'm sure they would be more than pleased to help you in any way they can if you decide to go there. Is it steady pay? Can you rent your half of the house? What's the worst thing that could happen if you went? Will your friends and relatives disappear if you leave?  Will they still love you when you return?

"You have nothing to lose and  much to gain -- as do we if you'll accept this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to serve your country in the way you're being considered to serve it. Praying for you. God bless you."

Friend #18

I wish I could give you a clear cut answer. I get the vibe that your heart is at home. However, this is a very big opportunity for you. My biggest concern would be the morgage and finances. DC is expensive as hell. People who are rich down here in GA - well, many senators sleep in their offices.

"Will you be able to pay your mortgage if you go out there? That would be my biggest concern. Though, of course, I would LOVE for you to come to DC because that way, it would be easier to hang out with you! =)  BUT, at the same time, the reality of the situation is, what's best for you?



The tone I get from you is that you're not wanting to go because you are looking at pretty much leaving everything behind...if only for a season. Are you willing to do this?


Really, the more I've thought about this, I think it's an amazing opportunity. The only question you have to ask yourself is: Do you really feel God wants you to do this? And if God does want you to do this, he'll provide the means necessary!

"So, my best piece of advice is: Be decisive, figure out where your "duty" or place is, and be proactive in that choice.

Friend #19

What a fabulous opportunity! What's the downside? What do you WANT to do? Will you be able to live with yourself if you don't try? Besides, nothing is forever; you'll always have your friends/home/church/mortgage to come back to....

Friend #20

"Hi. Just wanna say how proud I am and how you must be, too. What an honor. I am an Obama fan, have supported his campaign, voted for him, cried when he won, and have some stuff like magnets and a mouse pad around my home.

"Like you, I was disillusioned during the Watergate incident and I remember when kids dreamed of being an astronaut, a brain surgeon and the President of the United States. Then, all of a sudden, times changed and it wasn't such an honorable career choice. Obama has brought it back; the love of this country, the spirit of working together, and HOPE !!
 
"I'm glad you applied.
"I also read an article in "MORE" magazine recently about women senators rooming together in the Georgetown area. Imagine! Women who are serving the country, leaving their families frequently to attend Senate hearings, and votes, etc. They have to temporarily live in the D.C. area, so 3 different state senators rented out a place together for the comfort of a roommate situation. Maybe you could find out through our congresswomen's websites if there is some temporary housing situation; or maybe there's a blog of other Organizating for America people who have a housing set-up.


"Anyway those are my thoughts. I'm hoping it all works out for you."


 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Consider where a person's glory most begins and ends and say my glory was I had such friends."

Thank you, all!!!!  I am so blessed to have you in my life, on my side, and standing by to pray for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris,
I am glad to provide all the support I can during this time and I know it is a gut wrenching decision. Whatever decision you make will be the best one for you.
MJ

Carl Rylander said...

You could go for the virtual option, Kristine. Make sure you know exactly what all the benefits and costs are, before you decide. Don't just go on hope.