Saturday, September 8, 2007


This is, most likely, the last weekend we’ll have Aunt Tod in our lives (except in memory), so I'm devoting most of my waking hours to being at her bedside. It’s peaceful there, and there’s love in every room and hallway, so it isn't overly somber… but it is draining.

I just hope I’m there when she passes, because I think she would want that. She doesn’t seem to be the type to be able to “go gently into that goodnight” unless she has someone with her, holding her hand...

I want mine to be that hand....


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was with her 7 1/2 hours today. She probably only knew it about five minutes -- she's sleeping mostly, with an IV drip of morphine keeping her comfortable so she can rest. A nurse and I turned her four times while I was there. The nurses are just terrific.

She's in good hands.

No comments: