Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Things Are Looking Up!


This week I've contacted a number of ad agencies here in Tacoma via phone to see if they'd be interested in me as a copywriter or copy editor, now or in the future, part time or full-time, during busy seasons, or for one-shot gigs. I attached writing samples and two letters of recommendation from my most recent place of employment. I also let them know they can engage me "virtually" through Elance.com if they prefer to work that way. I knew it was a long shot, but worth a try.

Much to my surprise and utter delight, four of the five agencies have called or emailed already to say they're glad to know I'm in the area and available. They say they'll keep me on file for whenever they might need me! WAHOO!!!

Can't tell you how great that makes me feel. I'll do more research and see if I can find more ad agencies in this neck of the woods and in Seattle and Olympia. During busy seasons, when agencies get overwhelmed, perhaps they'll think of me and give me some of their overload. Or, who knows? If one of their employees quits or is let go, perhaps they'll consider me as a replacement.

I was really surprised at the warm welcome I received when I called. "Oh, that's great. Yes, I'd like to see your resume and writing samples. Send them along!" WHEEE!

I'm also listed with five temp agencies (for companies needing secretaries and/or administrative assistants), but haven't received a single assignment yet. This is par for the course so much of the time -- that's why I have to be listed with just about every agency that's worth its salt.

A temp in a new region has to build a client base before s/he can stay busy. I was busy as a bee in Hollywood as a temp after about a year, because clients I worked for would request me the next time they needed to fill a spot while a permanent employee took a vacation/had a baby/went for surgery/took a sabbatical or what-ever. "Build it (a good reputation) and they will come!"

This Saturday and next I will be at caucuses as an alternate delegate for Barack Obama. I wasn't able to make it to the training sessions so will have to rely on my ability as a "quick study"! I did fine as a precinct captain, even though I'd never attended a caucus before, so reckon I can catch on to the nitty-gritty of these upcoming events. I just hope I'm not shanghaied to attend the national convention in Denver when that comes around. I hope all the regular delegates can "do their thing" so I don't have to fly to Denver for four days (on my own dime) to help Barack win the nomination. (ATTENTION, MARGOT! PLAN FOR A GUEST IF I HAVE TO BE IN DENVER FOR THE CONVENTION! I can't afford plane fare, let alone a hotel room!)
[Donations accepted to get Kris to Denver... if that comes to pass!!! :) :) :) :) ] [Watch all my Republican friends send me tickets to Hawaii for the duration of the Democratic National Convention! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!]

On April 14th I will be taking the Office Assistant exam for the City of Tacoma. I have to buy a calculator for that. They're required. (Good thing. After I get past fingers and toes, I need a calculator!) (OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but only slight.)

Three weekends from now, I'll be attending Church For All Nations's women's conference, which takes place Friday night (the 18th) from 7 to 9 p.m. and Saturday (the 19th) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The women's ministry leader says I can have a vendor booth at the conference, so this afternoon I made some postcards. They look pretty cool, if I do say so myself. If you want a copy of the postcard, let me know and I'll email it to you. Then you can make copies and hand them out to business owners wherever you are if you have a friendly relationship with them and feel comfortable doing this. Since I'm listed with Elance, anyone in the whole world has access to my writing service -- so don't be shy about telling folks you know me and will vouch for me. That would be great! I need a handful of clients soon, so I can convince myself I can make a go of it as a freelance copywriter! Thanks!



No comments: