Monday, February 15, 2010

Gonna Visit with Karen and Walter Dobbs This Coming Saturday!

Karen Dobbs called. We're going to get together at noon on Saturday at Denny's near the airport in Seattle. I'm taking my camera to capture the event and will put pictures here upon my return.

I haven't seen the Dobbs Dynamic Duo in forty years. That doesn't even sound possible -- forty years. Where has the time gone? Good Lord, I'm going to look old to them. Maybe they'll look old to me -- but they're only a few years older than I am, I think. Cle Elum was Mr. Dobbs' first teaching job after college, so he might have been 25 when I was 17 or 18, maybe younger.  I know he used to hang out on the slag piles with the guys on motorcycles, which was scandalous to the other teachers in Cle Elum. Most of them thought hanging out with students was wacko. Mr. Dobbs even got the "bad" (rebellious) kids back in school because he interacted with them beyond the usual boundaries.  He was terrific.  (Still is, I'm sure!)


Mr. Dobbs is as soft-spoken as De was.  Still. I'm going to come across like Auntie Mame or Annie Oakley by comparison!  Oh, well!  Like Popeye says, "I yam what I yam..." an ebullient numbskull! 

It's going to be GREAT!  I can't wait...

No comments: