Saturday, May 19, 2012

Weekend Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

I'm going to take in a movie and a meal with a good friend this weekend. It's time to get out and stretch my legs a little! I've been sitting on this chair at this desk for what seems like "forever!" That's not true, though. I've been out and about, off an on, all week long, making business connections... a few minutes here...an hour there... I come and go like a leaf in the wind--but it's all bearing fruit.

My publisher and I are reaching out to well-known pastors (as mentioned in my last blog entry) to see if any of them are willing to endorse SETTLE FOR BEST: SATISFY THE WINNER YOU WERE BORN TO BE. I already have five endorsements from other folks (*sigh*)and expect a few more before the book goes to press. We were thinking of releasing it June 1st but now we're holding off to make sure the pastors and other folks have a chance to weigh in and possibly get into the book via endorsement...

In Other News:

Sometime in June, Laverne and Shirley (my two goats) will be joined by two Nigerian Dwarf Goats, two wethers. Jackie and I have a friend who needs to find new homes for them. We've been looking for--and wanting--goats that are small enough to be petted by the wee ones who visit us regularly on weekends and some evenings. Laverne and Shirley weigh close to 200 pounds each now, and they can get TOO playful and rowdy--goats tend to bounce sideways almost as often as they bounce forward, which can inadvertently hurt even an adult, so we're happy to take in some goats that will remain short and sweet. Our friend assures us these two neutered boys will be fine with small children--and I've read up on the breed and seen written confirmation: Nigerian Dwarf Goats are often taken to hospitals as therapy animals. That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Casey's class is beginning a series on writing, illustrating, editing and publishing. (Casey is my grandniece--Phil and Wendy's oldest daughter, 12). She has invited me to speak to her class sometime soon. This is going to be a hoot! I did the same thing once before, years ago, when Amber White invited me to her class to talk about writing, and we had a very good time.

Casey herself is quite the writer. She's also a voracious reader, which should go with the territory--but all too often doesn't. I have never understood how people think they can become good or great writers without reading good and great writing. It blows me away! Without investing time reading (even if only for the sheer joy of reading), it's the equivalent of expecting a brain surgeon to be able to pick up a scalpel and dive right into the first available brain without serious repercussions! Malcolm Gladwell writes in THE TIPPING POINT that to become an expert in any realm you have to invest 10,000 hours reading about it, studying it and doing it. I agree! I passed that milestone decades ago and I'm STILL learning things about writing(to my complete and utter joy)...

2 comments:

Coco Wedlock said...

A business-involved walk is not considered stretching your legs at all. At least now you're finally considering to give yourself a break and reward yourself with something you enjoy. You should do this every now and then to keep in touch with your friends and most especially to yourself. Have time for meditation too.

Kris M Smith said...

Thanks, Coco!