Sunday, September 11, 2011

SEPTEMBER 11TH -- NOT a Good Day in History!!!

T'was Sept 11th, 1996 when I had Deaken (the subject of SERVAL SON) euthanized.

T'was Sept. 11th five years later when terrorists scarred America in ways those of us who were alive and old enough to understand will never forget...

Today I stayed busy at church longer than usual talking to people who wanted and needed to talk: kids, adults. It was a poignant morning.

I wish Sept 11th 2001 had brought us together for far longer than it did. Instead, the decade since seems to have pushed us farther apart.  The terrorists are probably happy about that. They like people becoming fearful of "the other"--it serves their cause just fine.

But there should be no "others" in this great land of ours. We should all be deemed worthy of love, listening to, and honoring, even when we disagree with each other.  I don't see that happening... I see a lot of fear out there--not of terrorists, of each other!

It began before 9/11 but 9/11 just showed us we aren't ever united for very long.  We only huddle and cuddle when we're ALL attacked. Otherwise, we seem to like attacking each other.  It keeps life from becoming boring.

It also keeps life from becoming satisfying, relational, and Christ-like.

I will redouble my efforts to disagree agreeably when I do disagree.  I will try not to "react" with equal vitriol to the myopic, vitriolic, unfounded and unfair attacks of others. I will try to "turn the other cheek" as Jesus taught.

That's a fitting tribute to 9/11.

No comments: